Recent Reads: The Deathsniffer's Assistant

I want to share a wonderful book written by one of my peers: The Deathsniffer's Assistant, by Kate McIntyre

We're both represented by the same agent, which is how I became aware of her, and I think there's a reason. We must have very similar tastes; I loved every. single. thing. about this book. I'm always on about worldbuilding at setting--it has that in scads. The hero is such my kind of character, too--he's polite, mild-mannered, and sensitive.

The setting is alternate-world Victorian, with fantasy elements taking over for any and all technology: bound spirits. That sounds kind of cliche on the surface, but I promise it's not. Each type of spirit has a defined role, a unique personality, and a vastly different appearance. Undines for water and plumbing, salamanders confined into lanterns or for heat, cloudlings for energy and current, and many more.

The social structure, too, is inventive and flavored by the magical elements. Every person is categorized into a profession, based on what's essentially their innate magical skill. The MC is a wordweaver, (basically a secretary, but he thinks words onto the page). Truthsniffers become police officers, heartmenders become doctors, and spiritbinders are the most revered of all, since they can control the aforementioned deadly and dangerous spirits. There is, of course, way more to it all than this, but I wanted to give you a taste rather than just wave my arms around screaming, "It's so creative! Go read it!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Sci-Fi Movie Drinking Game

Writing is Hard

Submissions