Things I Learned From Vet: Throwing Wrenches

Exciting plots are all about unexpected twists and complications. Just when it seems things are going right, boom, a new problem for the characters to deal with, or a game-changing revelation. Some general writing advice suggests that if you get stuck, throw a wrench in the scene and see what happens.

Vet medicine involves plenty of wrenches, too. Maybe it's helped me developed the skill of dealing with the wrenches, but I imagine most jobs do. It sure gives good fodder for creating the wrenches, though.

Smooth day? Dog fight or car crash arriving in ten minutes.

Classic symptoms? Diagnostic tests negative for the suspected disease.

Seen a few guinea pigs and rabbits? How about a sick sugar glider. (Staff: "I didn't even know that was an animal.")

All of these can be turned into plot devices:

Smooth day? Dog fight or car crash arriving in ten minutes.
- Finally solved a plot problem or resolved an argument? Explode something in the room.

Classic symptoms? Diagnostic tests negative for the suspected disease.
- Figured out the bad guy's plan? Totally wrong.

Seen a few guinea pigs and rabbits? How about a sick sugar glider. (Staff: "I didn't even know that was an animal.")
- Character has a specific skillset? Throw them into new territory.

My favorite wrench so far is planning to get a baby African Grey many years in the future and train it really well, only to suddenly adopt a surrendered feather picker because the husband fell in love with it. Not so good for writing fodder, but now I have a writing companion to sit on my shoulder while I work!

Comments

  1. "Finally solved a plot problem or resolved an argument? Explode something in the room."
    I totally agree with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very good at that one. (Delayed reply, my bad!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Sci-Fi Movie Drinking Game

Writing is Hard

Submissions