Setting Inspiration: Wind Farms

When we lived in New Zealand, there were a lot of wind farms near us. Wellington in particular, renowned for its windiness, has enough to provide quite a bit of power for the city and local areas. I don't have as many photos of these as I'd like, but I do have some fantastically foggy shots from exploration with my parents. A google search of Manawatu wind farms will yield plenty of other photos of the area.

wind farm

wind turbines

Cows abound in New Zealand, wherever you are. Even on the top of a mountain next to a wind farm.

cows

And because of the dearth of photos, here's one of foggy Wellington. The ones above are actually in Manawatu, but I don't have any photos of the Wellington wind turbines, I'm afraid.

Wellington

My thoughts on this as a setting... Well, I love fog. The fog alone makes me love those pictures. As for the actual wind turbine part, that's an interesting and different sort of backdrop. They make a constant sort of hum if you're close enough to them. While there's nothing too special about having them around, I think it could add a lot of flavor to a story, whether it's a single scene (chase scene, secret meet-up, picnic date) or it's an unobtrusive element of a town or city.

---

This post is part of a series focused around gorgeous or fascinating places that I think would make great settings for sci-fi and fantasy (or anything else!). It includes places I have used in writing, will use, or simply admire. 

I welcome submissions of your own photos or location suggestions. Anything breathtaking, haunting, unearthly, or otherwise memorable! Comment or tweet me and I'll try to make a post out of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Sci-Fi Movie Drinking Game

Writing is Hard

Submissions