Setting Inspiration: Paris Catacombs

I'll bet the Paris catacombs have inspired all sorts of people--authors, artists, poets--with its haunting, otherworldly (underworldly?) atmosphere.

You'll have to forgive me for forgetting literally everything factual and historical about our tour there. It was six or seven years ago, at least, and in my usual fashion, the main thing I remember is the awesome atmosphere. I also apologize for the craptastic camera--it's actually the same shitty camera I used for all my New Zealand photos in other posts (yeah... including the ones from last year).

We started down a long, dark tunnel. We took a picture at the first light we came to. To give you an idea how long ago this was, I still had long hair.



Things opened up to become more carved and well-lit. Not exactly cheerful, but less of a horror movie. To start. (Unless I'm remembering backwards and this part was near the end... I really don't know)


After a fairly short distance, you reach this warning: Stop! This is the Empire of the Dead.

  
And then... bones. 




And more bones.

 

 Yep, that's a column made of bones. And there's also some other stuff.



If you want to watch something really fun, famous youtuber PewDiePie was invited to do a promotional "Catacombs Challenge," in which he navigated the pitch-black catacombs in an effort to complete a quest, with actors dressed up as baddies to get in his way (recorded with infrared cameras). For context, he made his name with Let's Plays of horror games like Amnesia, so this is like the real-life version.

My thoughts on this as a setting? Almost goes without saying! Creepy, dark, cool, quiet, and full of bones and ghosts! You feel like you're one step away from the underworld, and if you take a wrong turn you'll find the boatkeeper waiting at a dock.

This post is part of a series focused around gorgeous or fascinating places that I think would make great settings for sci-fi and fantasy (or anything else!). It includes places I have used in writing, will use, or simply admire. 

I welcome submissions of your own photos or location suggestions. Anything breathtaking, haunting, unearthly, or otherwise memorable! Comment or tweet me and I'll try to make a post out of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Sci-Fi Movie Drinking Game

Writing is Hard

Submissions