Writing Is Rewriting, Or Being Prepared To Throw Everything Out Multiple Times

There's an old adage that "writing is rewriting," which alludes to the fact that the first time you put story to page is only a fraction of the process. For the non-writers among you, I'm sure you're aware that novels go through many, many drafts before taking their final form. What they don't tell you is that you get it as perfect as you possibly can, only to discover there's a ton of things that actually need to be fixed up and redone--over and over again.

Novels are a lot like butterflies. That first draft is a little wee caterpillar, maybe a really ugly one, or maybe one that catches your eye. You set it aside so it can develop in its cocoon. Then you come back to turn it into a butterfly, with your fresh, critical eye that allows you to viciously hack that cocoon apart (my analogy may not be working as well as I hoped). That cocoon-to-butterfly process is the polishing stage: first what you can do by yourself, then with the help of alpha and beta readers. At the end of this process you hopefully have ironed out everything you can, and send this pristine, shining manuscript off to agents.

Who tell you to completely rewrite it.

Then you perfect it again, make it glow, and send it to editors. Who tell you to completely rewrite it again.

I may be exaggerating, but only a little. There's this depressing realization somewhere during the querying process that even though you've made it the best you possibly can, you're going to be asked to edit it. And edit it. And edit it. Your novel doesn't have to be in shambles for this--in fact, you're doing pretty well if you're getting feedback from agents. But no matter how many laps you make on the editing field, more will be asked of you.

This isn't a bad thing. It's just a gut-sinking realization everyone planning on traditional publishing makes at some point--something Ashley and I were discussing the other day. I mean, I love my novel and get excited about ideas to improve it (things clicking into place!). However, it's still a bit "ugh" to finish a buttload of work, and know you'll have to do it all over again soon.

I wouldn't want it any other way. It's true what they say that the right agent and editor will make you think, "Oh, good idea! Why didn't I think of that?" This is one of the things I value in traditional publishing over self-pub. I need these experienced, industry-savvy people to hold my hand, take an objective look, and point out how can take a story to the next level. I need an agent in my court who knows my strengths and weaknesses and knows how to get us to the best possible final product. There's only so much I can do on my own. And at least we can all commiserate with each other about the process.

Comments

  1. Rightly said,and we writers won't get satisfied even after multiple edits, especially of those first couple of chapters. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Old Sci-Fi Movie Drinking Game

Writing is Hard

Submissions